Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nextbook Android Tablet


My quest for an affordable tablet has begun. Today's review is for the Nextbook Next2.

The Nextbook Next2 is available from HSN at a very reasonable $199. Though advertised as a tablet, it really is basically a Borders-branded ebook reader. Some Android apps are available through the market, but not all Android apps.

Especially not the Kindle app.

That alone was a deal-breaker for me. Beside this very big drawback of reduced access to the Android apps, the device itself has some problems. For me, the touchscreen isn't responsive enough. Anytime I am scrolling through a list, it seems the scrolling doesn't move at all - or not without multiple attempts. The buttons are slow, but fairly consistent.

The screen is criap and easy to read, and the device is light and convenient. If you want an Borders only ebook reader and a browser, and a few app like email, calculator, YouTube, etc., it does the job. It just doesn't provide enough functionality for me to either replace one of my current devices, or bother to carry it.

It frustrates me to have a deliberately crippled device. I wouldn't accept a Windows device that only allowed me to install and load a subset of Windows programs. As time goes on this may change, or not. Without control over the apps, the likelihood of going out-of-date increases.

Gadget Girsl says: It goes as fast as I can pack it up.

Technology Showcase