Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Barnes and Noble Color Nook

Last year I was eager to get my hands on the first generation Nook e-reader. It was such a hit that it was sold out til mid-January for those, unlike me, who did not order fast.

This year's edition is significantly improved with it's color screen. In fact B&N and various other retailers are selling the two versions of the Nook, but the color version is only at B&N.

So what do I think? The interface design is much improved. The controls are easier to find, and there is a handy button that takes you immediately to the book you are currently reading. The screen is no longer e-ink, but back-lit. The display is crisp and pleasing to the eye, and the pages turn faster. (I am a fast reader, so I notice)

There is also a full color web browser, that is manipulated from the touch screen. I love the web browser, but the touchscreen not so much. Any screen that only does what I want one out of three times is not for me. The back-lit screen can be read in the dark, but consumes battery faster. The battery lasts 8 hours instead of 5 days.

The connection to the Internet is only on wi-fi, so you can't buy a book from just anywhere. That means when I am sitting on the plane, or somewhere the Internet is ridiculously expensive, I can't buy a book. Or I had to plan ahead to load my books ahead of time. For me accessibility anywhere is a must-have for an ebook reader.

So the bottom line is - great e-book reader plus slow touchscreen minus 3G access and long battery life adds up to a gadget I don't need. If I didn't already have a Kindle, and a significant library there, I would be thinking harder of about keeping it. So if this is your first ebook reader, I would consider this.

But I will be waiting for the next version.

Gadget Girl Says: It goes. Reluctantly.

Technology Showcase