Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

We didn't start the Fire

Apologies for the lame Billy Joel reference, but I couldn't resist the pun.

I really, really want to like the Fire.  But even for only $200, I still am not sure it is a must have table

Things I love about the Fire:
  • Streaming video from Amazon Prime
  • Android Apps - chord bot and Quick office were my first.
  • Web browsing - Total Web access
  • The size - I LOVE a smaller tablet.   The iPad is too big to hold in one hand
Things I hate about the Fire:
  • No 3G - Wifi only is so lame.  No card slot to add it is even lamer.  Using my Mifi defeats the small form factor, because now I need a case to hold both.
  • Streaming video - works about a third of the time, and is choppy
  • Navigation - If my documents aren't going to be in "Docs" (the logical place), then I need access to the file system.    Maybe I can find  a nice app for this - and Quick office is NOT it. 
  • No camera - front OR back.  I want both
  • No SD slot - even my Kindle had this
  • No Bluetooth - so no external keyboard or wireless document/music transfer
The longer I have it, the more I like it.    I find it handy for quick access to the web instead of hauling a laptop, and struggling with a tiny screen on a phone.    Most people I know with iPads end up using it mainly as a handy  $600 web browser.   Two hundred bucks is still pricey for a handy web browser, but better than six hundred.  

So what I am finding is I definitely want a tablet.    Most of the tablets are too high-priced for my budget.    I may keep the Fire until something better comes along.