Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fire up, Baby


Today the Apple fan boys are all up in space about the Apple announcement, but the fun for me started last Friday when Amazon announced the new Fire.

Dear Amazon -
You must have read my Letter to Santa last November when I described my ideal tablet.   To re-iterate,
  1. 3G - or a case with a pouch for my Mifi -
  2. 7-8 in  screen size -  I want it to fit in one hand.   The Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab both nail this one   
  3. Streaming video - that works.  Not like the Fire.   More like the iPad. 
  4. Great App Store - like the iPad.  
  5. Front camera.  Rear, too would be nice.   
  6. Bluetooth - for keyboard and drive mapping -  
  7. SD slot - for viewing pictures, and transferring information  
  8. Long Battery (over 12 hrs) 
  9. Lightweight (less than a pound) 
  10. And Santa - make it around $300.   In case it isn't in my stocking   
The new 7" Fire HD hits   6 out of 10 of my wishlist.   Maybe 8 out of 10 if the app store and streaming are good.  The new 8.9" Fire HD hits 4.5 out of 10 of my wishlist, and possibly 6.5 if app store and streaming are good.

Both offer some really neat features for segregating a Kindle library for kid-friendly usage, carrying content, and display via an HDMI port.  I am hoping these new features are designed to be easy to set up.   I also look forward to putting my Kindle content into folders.  My library is much too big to manage with the current interface.

So the 3G/4G version is bigger than I want, and more expensive.   Looks like I am saving some money on the next Kindle.   My new Fire HD arrives September 14.     New toy for Gadget Girl!!